[whatwg] How not to fix HTML

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 31 18:33:12 PST 2006

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> I believe the issue is with the way screen readers handle existing
> forms.  The problem is that each radio button or checkbox has it's own
> label, but the whole group is often associated with a single question
> and there is no way mark that up.
>
> e.g.

>    <label for="m"><input type="radio" id="m" name="gender" value="m">
>      Male</label>
>    <label for="f"><input type="radio" id="f" name="gender" value="f">
>      Female</label>

   Here's a thought:

|   <grouplabel for="gender">Gender:</grouplabel>

   The element <grouplabel> gives the label for the group. The |for|
attribute in this case takes a name rather than and ID, therefore it
labels as a group control elements that have |name="gender"| as an
attribute. It introduces only one element and one attribute for an
unlimited amount of control elements.