[whatwg] sarcasm

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Tue Apr 24 13:17:48 PDT 2007

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> It occurs to me that one of the most frequently used nits of
> pseudo-markup is to indicate sarcasm. For example,
>
> <sarcasm>Yeah, George W. Bush has been such a great president.</sarcasm>
>
> Should we perhaps formalize this? Is there any benefit to be achieved by
> adding an explicit sarcasm element to HTML?

Seems rather culturally specific. I found from living in Boston for a
while, that a British sense of humour often seems harsher and more
sarcastic to our gentle US cousins. So I wouldn't burn this into an
element name.

Some way of citing externally maintained lists might be nice, eg.
see work of http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion/charter

""The mission of the Emotion Incubator Group, part of the Incubator
Activity, is to investigate the prospects of defining a general-purpose
Emotion annotation and representation language, which should be usable
in a large variety of technological contexts where emotions need to be
represented.""

cheers,

Dan