[whatwg] [WF2] <button> without value="" should perhaps use .innerText as value

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Apr 23 14:31:03 PDT 2007

Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 03:28:35 +0200, Kornel Lesinski <kornel at osiolki.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:10:07 +0100, Simon Pieters <zcorpan at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We currently don't have interop with IE and other browsers with
>>> regards to what to send to the server as the value of <button>.
>>>
>>> IE always sends .innerText as value.
>>
>> IIRC it's innerHTML, but I can't verify it at the moment.
>
> Ah. Indeed, it is. Replace .innerText with .innerHTML in my proposal.

Ugh, this seems very messy. I think Kornel said it quite well when he
said that there isn't likely many pages out there that rely on IEs
behavior because you might as well use <input type=submit>.

I bet Hixie knows how many pages out there uses <button>, possibly even
<button> without a type attribute?

>> Is there really a noticable number of sites that rely on IE's broken
>> behaviour?
>
> Apparently, enough for the IE team to not change it for IE7, despite me
> sending a bug report about it. (The bug was closed as "by design" IIRC.)

This is a poor test since Microsoft is very conservative with regards to
chaining behavior. See recent threads on the HTML WG list.

 From what I understand they aren't going to change behavior unless it
can be proven that no sites will break. I prefer to go the other way and
say that we should do what makes a good spec unless it can be proven to
break sites (as a general rule of thumb).

/ Jonas