[whatwg] Style sheet loading and parsing (over HTTP)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed May 23 17:45:44 PDT 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Because Julian makes some good points here. This is in line what I have
> been thinking for a while. You - the WHATwg - need to face the lions of
> the HTMLwg.  For instance, Ian, to tell on _this_ list that predefined
> classes are taken out of the spec. But not inform (as I noticed, anyway)
> the forum which caused the removal about the same issue, what is that?
> [1]

The chairman of the HTML WG asked that we stop discussing, that's why I
haven't been posting on that list. :-(

(Actually I've sent two mails to the list since then. One was in reply to
a mail specifically addressed to me, and the other was sent to www-html; I
didn't notice public-html was on the recipient list until later.)

Note, though, that there are a number of ways to see what progress is
being made on the W3C HTML 5 specification; they are all listed at the top
of the spec, as required by teh W3C publication rules:

   http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/spec/Overview.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8

So it's not like the progress has been hidden from the HTML working group.

> The WHATwg spec has become the starting-point. Victory, said Anne van.
> Sounds more like Ian think the HTMLwg is a drag. Anne tells in his blog
> how he presents HTML5 to different audiences. And Karl Dubost began
> speaking about tutorial for users. But who needs a tutorial here, if not
> the HTMLwg itself? Doesn't the WHATwg spec as starting point mean that
> WHATwg somehow have been given a responsibility here? To present its
> spec to the _HTMLwg_? Section for section. After all, you wanted the
> HTMLwg to accept it. And you therfore are obligued to present it - and
> deserve the space and time to do so. It is really difficult to discuss
> small bits such as class names unless we have a broader context.

As far as the HTML working group goes, I am following the lead of our
chairmen. Currently, we have been requested to not discuss anything. My
understanding is that the chairmen are sorting out some sort of issue
tracking system before moving to the review process. I would be more than
happy to help with that in any way I can.

> On 2007-05-23 23:20:40 +0200 Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> replied to Julian:
>
> > If the spec I'm working on isn't that spec, then I'll stop working on
> > it, and return to working on the spec with real-world relevance.)
>
> I think many would feel that the whole process would pretty much falls
> apart if this should happen. On the other side, it doesn't sound as if
> you are open to much debate. You better think about how you present this
> to the HTMLwg. No one likes to discuss under a Damocles sword. On the
> other side, it is just fair to say that there are some limites on what
> one can accept. But then again, the HTMLwg has been conveened pretty
> much because of WHATwg - so it would be a bit strange.

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean here. I think I've been
pretty open about my position. I don't really understand what you want me
to say or do.

Cheers,