[whatwg] When to stop <video> elements from playing

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Thu Oct 25 19:28:11 PDT 2007

Jonny Axelsson wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:53:56 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>
>> fantasai wrote:

>>>  No. "display: none" is defined to affect all media, and that certainly
>>> should not change for <audio> and <video>.
>>
>> I think this is different than screen readers not speaking
>> display:none text. Both hiding layout frames and silencing screen
>> readers only affect the 'rendering' of the contained text, it doesn't
>> otherwise deactivate the contained display:none elements:
>
> What matters is how display: none is defined [1], and as fantasai
> mentioned display is media: all, with special processing to boot:
>
>   This value causes an element to generate no boxes in the
>   formatting structure (i.e., the element has no effect on
>   layout). Descendant elements do not generate any boxes
>   either; this behavior cannot be overridden by setting the
>   'display' property on the descendants.
>
>   Please note that a display of 'none' does not create an
>   invisible box; it creates no box at all.

Yes, so I think that a screen reader should not say whatever it would
normally say when hitting a <video> that is display:none.

However I see that as very different from silencing the audio stream
coming from the video. The audio stream in a video is not what the
screen reader would normally say when encountering a <video>, so I don't
think that neither the voice-volume nor the display property should
affect it.

Do you consider it against the CSS spec that display:none stylesheets
still are applied to the document? Or should that simply mean that
display:none stylesheets should not be rendered or spoken by a screen
reader?

/ Jonas