[whatwg] Compatibility problems with HTML5 Canvas spec.

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Wed Sep 26 17:04:10 PDT 2007

> We can certainly fix it, I'm just wondering what makes the most
> sense to do so.  Like I said, there's a patch sitting in our
> (Mozilla's) bugzilla that implements the spec-compatible behaviour.
> I'd be happy to fix it and relnote that it was fixed, while
> providing a simple workaround (which is basically calling
> beginPath() after calling fill/strokRect etc.)

I believe that fixing Firefox/Gecko to match the spec is the best
solution. Safari 3 beta has already shipped with behavior that
conforms to the spec, with substantial developer evangelism about this
issue. (See, e.g., this recently published tech note: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2007/tn2177.html#CANVAS)
. Reversing the spec, and re-reversing our course to return to Safari
2 behavior, would be terribly confusing. (I'm not even sure that it's
possible at this late hour.)

Thanks,
Geoff