[whatwg] Offline Web Apps

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Thu Sep 13 08:30:02 PDT 2007

On Sep 13, 2007 4:44 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the query parameter use case. If you have a web
> page "foo.cgi?page=x" wouldn't that page also be simply the offline page?
> What exactly is the scenario in some more detail?

I feel like me and the other querystringers are missing some critical
detail that would make omitting querystring support work. So here is
how I see it. Please tell me what is missing.

The bugzilla scenario is a good one. Someone wants to offline-enable
bugzilla. They could rewrite bugzilla to use fragment identifiers
instead of querystrings, but then bug shortcuts on the web would not
work with the offline-enabled application. They couldn't really cache
all possible pages (there are lots of bugs, and that would be really
inefficient). I suppose you could have each bug page be a separate
application, and cache each one as it is viewed online, but this is
really wasteful, and more importantly, bug shortcuts won't work
offline unless you have previously visited them.

- a