[whatwg] Offline Web Apps

Dimitri Glazkov dimitri.glazkov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:02:55 PDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Aaron Boodman <aa at google.com> wrote:
> The bugzilla scenario is a good one. Someone wants to offline-enable
> bugzilla. They could rewrite bugzilla to use fragment identifiers
> instead of querystrings, but then bug shortcuts on the web would not
> work with the offline-enabled application. They couldn't really cache
> all possible pages (there are lots of bugs, and that would be really
> inefficient). I suppose you could have each bug page be a separate
> application, and cache each one as it is viewed online, but this is
> really wasteful, and more importantly, bug shortcuts won't work
> offline unless you have previously visited them.
>
> - a

This kind of puts us at crossroads as to whether keep treating a URL
as an opaque identifier or attempt to break it down to determine
whether a page belongs to a given set.

Another, less cool path would be to use regular expressions or
somesuch instead of explicit list.

What if an application could be given an event when the link, clicked
on a document that is part of the application leads to a page that is
not present in cache? This way, the app could potentially manage the
fallback.

:DG<