[whatwg] executeSql API is synchronous

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Thu Sep 20 13:49:44 PDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007 1:14 PM, Timothy Hatcher <timothy at apple.com> wrote:

>  The pain of asynchronous access can be alleviated or even solved with an
> API for transactions, or a group of SQL queries that need be executed in
> order. Commonly, if a transaction fails in the middle, the database
> is rolled-back to the state before the transaction started.

It sounds like what you're talking about is something like:

var tx = new Transaction();
tx.addStatement("insert into accounts values (?, ?)", ["foo", "bar"]);
tx.addStatement("update persons set name = ?, age = ?", ["bob", 42]);
tx.executeAsync(callback, errback);

This only works so long as you can construct all the sql calls ahead of
time. If any calls depend on the results of previous ones, you need
something like a worker.

But I agree that the api needs support for transactions, I wanted to start
another thread about that.

- a