[whatwg] Latest proposal for offline web app API

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Sep 23 18:38:45 PDT 2007

On Sep 23, 2007, at 5:41 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On 9/21/07, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> Provide methods and/or properties for the following:
>
> * Add a resource to the cache. The resource persists (it's a
>    permanent addition to the manifest.)
>
> So if an update retrieves a new version of the manifest from the
> server, what will happen to dynamically added resources?

I think Ian's proposal clarified that dynamically added resources
would remain after a manifest update (though of course, you can remove
them through script).

> Nondeterminism about which cache might be used to serve a given URI
> seems highly undesirable to me. This could easily lead to
> interoperability problems.

I believe the only nondeterminism is for top-level resources that
appear in more than one cache. An alternate possibility is to require
that they be served from the most recently updated cache. However, the
counter-argument might be that operations like "open image in new
window" should pass the cache along to the resulting new top-level
browsing context. Perhaps it should be required that the newest
available offline cache is used, except optionally in such cases. I'm
not sure how that could be well-defined however.

Regards,
Maciej