[whatwg] Client-side includes proposal

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Aug 20 16:34:32 PDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Who says you control the software used to read the data? I often want to
> send documents around via e-mail, network mounts, ÇDs, and other
> non-network means. I usually don't care and don't want to care what
> platform or software is used to read those documents. I certainly don't
> wnt to have to supply such software to people I'm communicating with.
> HTML works very nicely for me here. Software independence is a very good
> idea, and hardly unique to the Web.

My point is that all these use cases are out of scope for the WHATWG,
which is specifically and exclusively concerned with Web technologies.

There are many use cases for which one could warp HTML -- e.g. it could be
(and has been) used to author books, it could be (and has been) used to
author letters, it could be (and has been) used to author help
documentation. However, HTML5's scope does not include developing
technologies to compete with DocBook, ODF, or the info format. If we end
up developing a technology that happens to work for those cases that's
fine, but it is not our goal, and such use cases are not going to be
considered in the development of HTML5.

Thus, if those are amongst your use cases, I recommend taking such
concerns to more appropriate mailing lists.

Cheers,