[whatwg] (X)HTML + SMIL?

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sat Dec 27 11:13:25 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Giovanni Campagna <
scampa.giovanni at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) CSS Transitions, that currently are WebKit propietary extensions, can be
> implemented using SMIL Animation Module. What is more important, many
> browsers already implement SMIL Animations on SVG elements, so they could
> easilily port them to XHTML2 (or 5 if they prefer)

CSS Transitions and SMIL Animations are actually quite different. CSS
Transitions provide for smooth transitions whenever the computed value of a
CSS property changes; they provide no way to actually *cause* a change in a
property value. SMIL can cause changes in property values (changes that
occur during the cascade and therefore can be inherited etc), but it can't
automatically smooth transitions whenever a CSS computed value changes.

Because they're complementary, at Mozilla we're keen to support both CSS
Transitions and SMIL Animations (for SVG, at least). But discussion of CSS
Transitions vs SMIL Animation should happen on www-style, not in the
public-xhtml2 or whatwg lists.

Rob
53:5-6]