[whatwg] Preventing nested click() calls

Antti Koivisto antti at apple.com
Mon Mar 17 15:24:29 PDT 2008

Hixie asked for a concrete example of page that breaks if click()
limit is removed so here is one:

1. Go to http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
2. Under Whirlpool (righthand side) go to 'Feedback Forum'
3. Click on any Forum
4. Click reply to this post (righthand) side
5. Login (you need to create an account)
6. Click 'Show quoted' box

Without click() protection the last step hangs the browser (at least
until javascript time limit kicks in). Script is sufficiently complex
and slow to execute that it won't hit javascript stack limit. I tried
having a minimum nesting limit that passes Acid3 (10 iterations) and
that too produces a noticeable ~1s pause. On mobile class hardware
that would be a complete hang.

   antti