[whatwg] Absent rev?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Nov 18 02:13:26 PST 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> Just one small question
>
> Why Has HTML5 dropped the rev=""[1] attribute?
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/#absent-attributes

We did some studies and found that the attribute was almost never used,
and most of the time, when it was used, it was a typo where someone meant
to write rel="" but wrote rev="". To be precise, the most commonly used
value was rev="made", which is equivalent to rel="author" and thus was not
a convincing use case. The second most common value was rev="stylesheet",
which is meaningless and obviously meant to be rel="stylesheet". We
therefore determined that authors would benefit more from the validator
complaining about this attribute instead of supporting it.

Anything that could be done with rev="" can be done with rel="" with an
opposite keyword, so this omission should be easy to handle.

Cheers,