[whatwg] Absent rev?

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 06:58:32 PST 2008

Hello

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> @rev = This relates to That,  or a rev="help" link indicates that the
> current document is "help" for the resource indicated by the href.
> @rel = That relates to This,  or  a  rel="help" link indicates that
> the resource indicated by the href  is "help" for the current document.
>

> Anyway I give up,  this discussion is getting a little too testy, If
> you, And many others don't understand the point I am trying to make,
> what progress is there to be made, Its all just wasted time (something
> I don't have right now),  Im sure HTML5 will be great for Browser
> Vendors, for the Humble author well we'll see.
>
> Thanks everyone for your...er...kind words
>
> see ya ;-)

I agree Almost ALL cases of rev="made" rel="author" can be used INSTEAD,
I apologize over my denial of this fact, the truth is Most people do not
use @rev=made the same way as I would :-[

I had a look at over 150 (not a lot but this was done my manually
looking at the source of the pages) examples of rev="made" almost 90%
were links like this,

<link rev="made" href="mailto:USER at HOST"/>

the rest were like this

<link rev="made" href="http://HOST.DOMAIN"/>

or this:

<a rev="made" href="http://HOST.DOMAIN">foo</a>

and this

<a rev="made" href="mailto:USER at HOST">foo</a>

In all the cases I looked at rel="author" can be used Instead,

Moral: Should have done my homework FIRST :-)

Its still a shame to lose @rev though It has been around for a while
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/draft-ietf-iiir-html-01.txt and despite its
misuse its still a very handy attribute (used in the right way)

Best wishes.

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/