[whatwg] Solving the login/logout problem in HTML

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Nov 27 12:38:42 PST 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> The specification of this scheme (which essentially is a no-op to
> implement for browser vendors and which already works "almost
> everywhere") could either happen in the W3C or in the IETF. I'm happy to
> assist in case the latter alternative is chosen.

I've removed the text from HTML5. If anyone wants to run with this and
specify it in a separate document, please let me know.

> PS: And, as Robert S. stated, HTML5 should specify that the response
> body should be displayed when the auth scheme is unknown.

I've specified this.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this idea. I recommend that interested
parties get together and come up with a simple RFC for a better solution.

Cheers,