[whatwg] Res: HTML5 - Server-Sent Events Implementation for Mozilla

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Nov 12 02:14:36 PST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Wellington wrote:

> I've looked at the spec that you have updated, and I think it isn't
> clear enough in the text below if either the error should be ignored
> (and so don't stop processing the resource, retrying after the
> reconnection time) or if the resource should be ignored completely.
>
> "Any other HTTP response code not listed here or network error (e.g. DNS
> errors) must be ignored."
>
> Considering your email below I think it means the last one. Please,
> clarify it better in order to prevent misunderstandings.

I don't really know how to clarify this. I've used the same wording for:

# HTTP 200 OK responses that have a Content-Type other than
# text/event-stream (or some other supported type), and HTTP responses
# whose Access-Control headers indicate that the resource are not to be
# used, must be ignored.

...as for:

# Any other HTTP response code not listed here or network error (e.g. DNS
# errors) must be ignored.

In both cases, the user agent is simply to do nothing special, no
automatic reconnection, no black listing, no nothing.

Can you suggest how to clarify this so that it makes sense to you?