[whatwg] [WF3] The <altinput> Element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Oct 22 01:05:27 PDT 2008

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:

>    The <altinput> element is intended to be a possible alternative to my
> earlier <dataentry> element.
>
> [...]

I studied these proposals in depth.

To summarise for people who weren't there 3 years ago or who have
forgotten, the context is providing elements to better provide fallback
markup for things like <input type=date>, so that during the transition
from no support to wide-spread support people can write both sets of
markup.

The proposals are quite well designed.

However, my concern is that we shouldn't add features that will last for a
long time but only be useful for a short time. The transition period
during which people will want to support both is short relative to the
lifetime of the feature. I fully agree that we should design features that
have fallback characteristics (obviously), but I am reluctant to create
features purely for fallback.