[whatwg] Dealing with UI redress vulnerabilities inherent to the current web

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sat Sep 27 03:51:29 PDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf at dione.cc> wrote:

> Your whack-a-mole analogy is of course true, but it applies so much more to
> many ongoing browser security efforts, most notably including implementing
> robust cross-domain DOM access security checks; hardly a simple and
> well-defined component by itself, and proved to be extremely complex to
> implement right in practice, too. Pretty much *any* effort to patch the
> existing design is bound to be in practice kludgy, regardless of how much
> text is needed to outline implementation goals.

Note that if we had option 1 (or in general way for sites to say "do not
allow my resources (scripts, images, pages in IFRAMES) to be loaded
cross-origin, except as I explicitly permit via Access Controls"), that
would also protect such sites from holes associated with inadequate
cross-domain DOM security checks.

Default permission of cross-domain loads is responsible for *a lot* of
problems. Allowing sites to escape that would address a lot of problems,
even if it is opt-in. Eventually we could hope to reach a state where all
browsers support it, and most sites request it --- a much saner Web IMHO.

Rob
53:5-6]