[whatwg] Canvas performance issue: setting colors

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Mon Sep 29 15:53:30 PDT 2008

> I think the canvas api should get 2 new methods:
>
>  CanvasColor createRGBAColor(in float r, in float g, in float b, in
> float a)
>  CanvasColor createHSLAColor(in float h, in float s, in float l, in
> float a)

WebKit already has a non-standard function -- setFillColor(r, g, b, a)
-- that provides a faster mechanism to set the colour, however we
believe we can rather easily improve the performance of the standard
fillStyle, strokeStyle properties and just have not yet gotten round
to it.  Until we have improved this I would be hesitant to go around
adding entirely new object types (especially canvas specific ones).

--Oliver