[whatwg] scope of link type "license"

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 28 12:58:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:

> As there hasn't been any answer (not even a negative) to my question /
> proposal

I plan to address a bunch of licensing-related issues together later this
week. You can see the use cases I have collected so far here:

   http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-April/019374.html

Search for "Help people searching for content to find content covered by
licenses that suit their needs".

> I've decided to list a couple of use cases that would benefit
> from the scope change of @rel="license" I'm envisioning:
>
>       * First of all, Flickr pages, where one or more images are under
>         distinct (CC-)licenses , but the whole page is not.
>       * Blogs, were CC-licensed images are used and properly attributed,
>         see <http://www.spreeblick.com/> for an interesting
>         implementation.

I've added these to my notes.

> As I'm planning to do a Wordpress plugin including the proposed markup,
> Im wondering: Should I just use @rel the way I find useful to spread
> this organically ?

I don't think reusing rel=license for subparts is workable. There's
already deployed software that treats it as described in HTML5 (i.e.
document-wide). We would need something that doesn't conflict with those
implementations if we want to address this use case.

Cheers,