[whatwg] Web Encodings

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Aug 30 12:21:07 PDT 2009

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> This will however not solve at least the following two problems:
>
>  * Some encodings need to be decoded (and encoded) using another encoding.
> (The other table HTML5 contains.)

Yeah that table seems like it will need to stay.

>  * The standards for encodings do not always match the required
> implementation of the encoding. Apparently just like with anything else
> encoding standards do not match reality.

If you register new encodings that are defined "correctly", like, say,
if ISO-8859-99 is defined incorrecly, you could register
"ISO-8859-99-legacy" or something, then we can add the mappings to the
second table to take care of it. That would get around this problem
without having to redefine any encodings, if that's an issue.