[whatwg] [WebWorkers] Maximum number of workers (was "About the delegation example")

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Mon Dec 7 14:57:28 PST 2009

We discussed this previously (
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-July/020865.html) -
the consensus was that since the Worker APIs are inherently asynchronous,
user agents were free to impose limits on worker creation (and queue up new
creation requests when the limit has been hit), but the spec should be
silent on this issue.

FWIW, Chrome does this - we limit each tab to a maximum of 16 workers, with
an overall limit of 64 - the 17th worker creation request for a tab is
queued up until another worker exits to make room for it. Chrome currently
has the limitation that each worker runs in its own process - when we
address that limitation, we expect to adjust the limits accordingly.

-atw