[whatwg] Media elements delaying the load event.

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Feb 22 01:23:43 PST 2009

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> Currently HTML5 does not require media elements to delay the load event
> in any way. We certainly don't want to delay the load event until the
> entire resource has finished loading (as we do for images), but I think
> it would make sense to delay the load event until media elements that
> are loading have reached the HAVE_CURRENT_DATA state (or detected an
> error). This ensures intrinsic sizes are available so the layout can
> stabilize, it ensures that scripts can access metadata, and it ensures
> that the video is displaying something (if it's going to).

Done. Currently, because media elements and parsing use different task
sources, the ordering of media element 'error' events and document 'load'
events is allowed to be unpredictable. If this becomes problematic let me
know and I'll move the 'error' events to using the DOM manipulation task
source instead which will make them fire before the document 'load' event
(but will make the spec confusing because I'll have to keep talking
about which task source applies for which event).