[whatwg] Codec mess with <video> and <audio> tags

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sun Jun 7 15:28:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> Every codec has the same problem; the difference is that companies like
> Apple have already taken on the patent risk with MPEG-LA licensed codecs
> and are not willing to double their exposure. (Other companies like Google
> apparently _are_ willing to take this risk.)

It's not a doubling of exposure to submarine patents; there is only
increased exposure for techniques that are used by Ogg Theora and NOT by
H.264 etc, which isn't much AFAIK.

Although maybe there are other factors; perhaps the MPEG-LA has a response
plan to submarine patents on its codecs that gives comfort to its licensees.

Anyway, it's fruitless to speculate on companies' motives. We can never
really know.

Rob
53:5-6]