[whatwg] Google's use of FFmpeg in Chromium and Chrome

Robert Sayre sayrer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:00:21 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Chris DiBona<cdibona at gmail.com> wrote:
> At this point I feel like we're giving open source advice to teams
> outside of Google, which is beyond our mission. We're comfortable with
> our compliance mission and feel it is accurate and correct. Other
> companies and people need to make their own decisions about
> compliance.

There may be a real legal problem here, but I don't think it matters
much. An LGPL loophole via naming in licenses--whatever. I'm sure
there are resources available to license or rewrite whatever you need
if that falls through.

The incredibly sucky outcome is that Chrome ships patent-encumbered
"open web" features, just like Apple. That is reprehensible.

--

Robert Sayre