[whatwg] MPEG-1 subset proposal for HTML5 video codec

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) ifette at google.com
Fri May 29 07:37:53 PDT 2009

MPEG-1 is not exactly a popular codec on the web if you look at the
breakdown of video files on the web. The most popular formats are H.264 and
FLV. H.264 currently offers the best performance in terms of image quality
and compression (and is already the de-facto choice in a large, and
increasing, set of cameras / editing software / ...). I don't think we would
be interested in supporting something like MPEG-1 which is, at this point in
time, far behind the curve. We have chosen to support H.264 + AAC as well as
Ogg (Theora + Vorbis) for <video> in Google Chrome, mainly because H.264 is
what we see as the best performing option and Ogg is (currently) the most
viable open alternative. Encouraging everyone to use MPEG-1 would just
result in a lesser user experience and more bandwidth consumption, neither
of which really interest us.