[whatwg] Structured clone algorithm on LocalStorage

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:21:39 PDT 2009

In http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-September/023192.html
Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> The unlocking around plugin calls is a problem, but it seems to me that any
> given library function is much more likely start with a plugin-based
> implementation and eventually switch to a non-plugin-based implementation
> than the other way around.

So there would still be a point in time when the library was using
plugins on some browsers but not on others -- and you lose the
cross-browser advantage that the library was supposed to give you.

> Beyond plugins, I hope and expect that library functions don't suddenly add
> calls to alert(), showModalDialog() or synchronous XHR.

I would expect that at least some such calls are typically on error
paths that don't often get taken or heavily tested.

-jJ