[whatwg] HTML resource packages

Kornel Lesiński kornel at geekhood.net
Wed Aug 4 05:28:11 PDT 2010

On 4 Aug 2010, at 11:46, Diego Perini wrote:

> > * Argument: What about incremental rendering?
> > If there are, for instance, lots of (content) images in the resource file I will see them all at once as soon as the ZIP has been downloaded completely and decompressed, but with single files I would have seen them appear one after the other, which might have been enough.
>
> ZIP files are progressively renderable, dependant on file order.
>
> In my experience "gzip" compression is blocking browser rendering until the compressed file has been received completely.
>
> I believe this is the reason we should not compress the HTML source, just its external binary components.
>
> I don't think the browser can separately decompress each block of a chunked transfer as it arrives, am I wrong ?

You are wrong. gzip compression is streamable and browsers can uncompress parts of gzipped file as it is downloaded. gzip only needs to buffer some data before returning uncompressed chunk, but it's only few KB. Chunks of gzipped data don't have to align with chunked HTTP encoding (those are independent layers).

--
regards, Kornel