[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Thu Dec 9 09:40:48 PST 2010

Kevin,

I spoke with a rep on Google TV, as well as a Microsoft IE rep: neither
saw an active use-case for non-square pixels.

There are cases where width is stretched / squished, but they're always
handled by scaling the output image. Think of fancy window manager
effects, and of the ratio selection available on many tvs.

I think the cost of supporting a scaleX and scaleY are minimal; but as
Robert suggests, the benefits are small. I've brought up the concept of
a CSS Canvas, based on Robert's comments in this thread, where viewport
transformations are taken into account by the rending engine.

-Charles