[whatwg] about:blank synchronicity

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 18 11:53:41 PST 2010

On 1/13/10 4:56 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> The spec currently distinguishes between the initial about:blank load
> (creation of a new browsing context), which actually doesn't involve
> navigation, and navigating to about:blank.
>
> It seems like simply making the first one synchronous, but making the
> latter asynchronous, would satisfy your use case. Would other vendors be
> ok with this?

In case it wasn't clear from the relevant Gecko thread, I would
personally be fine with this.  That said, would "initial about:blank
load" only include <iframe/> (no src at all), or also <iframe src=""/>
or also <iframe src="about:blank"/>?  I suspect it doesn't matter that
much, actually, but would welcome confirmation.

> Would it have other problems? Are there cases other than navigation where
> about:blank being synchronous is detectable? (I couldn't find any.)

I'm not sure what you're asking here...

-Boris