[whatwg] Web-sockets + Web-workers to produce a P2P website or application

Gleicon Moraes gleicon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 03:54:04 PST 2010

My 2c (as of talking to myself trying to figure out how to do a prototype of
this)...

I'm not sure where such service would belong, but it would suffer the same
problem that early VoIP systems suffered behind a firewall... While one
would be able to open a socket and serve data, there would have to be some
kind of uPnP or NAT integration to make it visible to the web (or a
tunneling solution as those old http-tunnel stuff).

Apart from that, I think it would be something like embedding a webserver
(or better yet embedding node.js [http://nodejs.org/]) in the same level as
the javascript API is implemented and allow pure or pre-arranged sockets to
be open.

AFAIK, using websockets, the browser initiates a connection with the server,
which will proceed upgrading the connection type and opening a two way
communication with the server and from now on the application defines the
line protocol. At least is what I gathered when doing this:
http://github.com/gleicon/txwebsockets

That way, apart from the browser doing this 2-way connection, it could open
a standard tcp socket, or better, a kind of special server and register
itself on a DHT or tracker (that I think would need to be an obligatory
step).

The p2p like mesh network is a great idea, but I think it would take some
security heads thinking around on what socket/server models it would be safe
to let a browser start, a framework for the tracker registering and a
sandbox akin to crossdomain.xml to protect it from turning to a giant
botnet.

I think this kind of thinking would be great with w3c behind it (and a wide
open discussion on security issues), as I think the node.js approach could
be "quicker" to implement browser-wise...

gm

--
More cowbell, please !