[whatwg] More YouTube response

Bjartur Thorlacius svartman95 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 17:21:50 PDT 2010

David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 July 2010 13:57, bjartur <svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I fail to see how BBC would be harmed by the usage of alternative
> > software. Its business model is about content, not software, right?
>

> See, you're using logic and sense ... about half the BBC want to just
> *make their stuff available*, the other half are worried about the
> thicket of laws and agreements that made sense in the days of analogue
> tape broadcast on analogue television that, despite not making sense
> on the Internet, still bind them legally. (Broadcast rights, residuals
> for actors and writers, etc.) These are serious and real concerns and
> they can't just ignore them.

AFAIK BBC hasn't been harmed by the usage of VHS players made and
distributed by 3rd partys nor do I know about any laws that require them
to technically and legally restrict consumer ability to play their media
with their ware of choice.

Limiting who and how their media can be consumed should harm BBC rather than the other way around.