[whatwg] HTML5 (including next generation additions still in development) - Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)

Diego Perini diego.perini at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:18:46 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>wrote:

> On 2010-07-08 02:28, Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> This is about the  fourth time I've said it here. Can the person in
>> charge of writing the slow and buggy ajvascript on the HTML 5 spec
>> please remove that?
>>

>> The problem is that that whatwg page causes freezes and crashes in
>> Firefox. i
>>

> As a workaround, you can use AdBlock in Firefox to block the offending
> script.  Just manually add this URL to your block list.
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/status.js
>
> --
> Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
> http://lachy.id.au/
> http://www.opera.com/

The problem is not only with Firefox and it happens I am not only using
Firefox.

Is there a similar blocking feature of Opera that you can suggest ?

Also in Opera:

   Uncaught exception: Reference Error: Undefined variable: fixBrokenLink
   Error thrown at line 39, column 5 in init() in
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html: fixBrokenLink();
   called from line 1, column 0 in <anonymous function>(event): init()

I haven't reviewed the complete script itself but I have some thoughts about
this (comparing behaviour on different browsers).

I suspect that when the above is fixed it will take more time in Opera and
other browsers throwing errors and (maybe) suspending execution. As a side
note, should the browser completely suspend script execution when an event
handler fails ?

Isn't the error thrown in a different execution context when handling event
listeners ?

I believe the main execution context should not be suppressed, especially
for an undeclared variable in a different context.

Diego Perini