[whatwg] <video> application/octet-stream

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 06:59:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
>>
>> Opera does not, that would lead to an extra network roundtrip. Instead, when
>> the MIME type is not one of the allowed ones, the connection is closed
>> immediately.
>
> Same with Firefox. There's also no guarantee that after you've done
> the HEAD that the subsequent GET retrieves the same resource and mime
> type.

That's what I expected, so I guess I don't understand what the "how
much are you willing to sniff?" question is about.  Do you mean
sniffing for <source> selection? Otherwise, it seems like you have all
the data you need as a matter of course, and it doesn't really matter
how far into the bitstream you go before you decide what
codec/options/etc. is in play.

Mike