[whatwg] Installable web apps

Dion Almaer dion at almaer.com
Mon May 24 14:21:36 PDT 2010

I think that unifying as much as possible would be a win. We could either:

a) each browser has their own formats, and someone generates tools to spit
them all out
b) come to some agreement on at least a base set (with vendor goodies added)

As a developer, I want to create one app and send that one app to multiple
web stores and have it work in multiple browser clients.

I have been working on taking the Chrome format from
http://code.google.com/chrome/apps/docs/developers_guide.html and showing it
with the other formats out there. Some are webby, some are mobiley, but
interesting to view:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/manifest-intro.html
http://developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1748&Itemid=43
http://library.forum.nokia.com/index.jsp?topic=/Web_Developers_Library/GUID-BBA0299B-81B6-4508-8D5B-5627206CBF7B.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#configuration-document0

There are many differences in the goals of this formats, but there are some
large overlapping areas too.

I have been writing about some thoughts on app stores too (
http://almaer.com/blog/what-should-the-future-of-web-app-stores-be,
http://almaer.com/blog/chrome-web-store-the-opportunity-for-breaking-out-of-silos-with-experience
).

I am sure people may have strong issues around permissions and the like. We
have been spending time on permissions ourselves and it would be nice to
have more options than full up front permissions in a string array.

Excited to watch this play out.

Cheers,

Dion