[whatwg] Need document.available_fonts() call

Perry Smith pedzsan at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:55:22 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Perry Smith <pedzsan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, my take is just the opposite.  Portability should dictate only if the
>> user wants portability.  I don't believe we confine what colors can be
>> picked based upon what is portable.
>
> Actually...  some machines can display colors with rgb values outside
> of the [0,255] range.  But CSS clamps you to that range because it's
> portable.

True, CSS restricts the color space to sRGB.  But CSS allows for 16 bit colors.  That is more what I was referring to.  The older machines can not display such subtleties so wise authors choose to confine their color choices but we are still allowed to pick the other colors.

Drifting off the topic a bit, has anyone suggested introducing the Lab color space to CSS and HTML?  It is a very nice for some applications.

pedz