[whatwg] On the subtitle format for HTML5

Odin Omdal Hørthe odin.omdal at gmail.com
Sun May 23 04:40:46 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
> 2010/5/23 Odin Omdal Hørthe <odin.omdal at gmail.com>:
>> Anyway, as of now I'm just waiting for a way to tell my webapp what
>> slide we're on (sync with the live streaming video).
>
> Can't you use the timeupdate event, get the 'currentTime' from the
> video, and decide what slide to show based on that? Or poll
> currentTime in a setTimeout? That's how most of the JavaScript
> subtitle examples work with <video> at the moment I think.

No, because:

I start the streaming.

10 minutes later, Leslie connects and gets the video maybe 1 minute
delayed because of IceCast2 buffering.

Her browser (Chromium and Firefox, haven't tested Opera), starts
telling «currentTime» from when SHE started to look at the live
stream. Instead of showing when the stream started.

So it's quite impossible to use that for syncing. I asked about that
here in this list, and got the answer that this is what we have
startTime property for, -- but it is not implemented correctly in any
browsers. startTime would then maybe say 0:00:00 for most clips, but
on streaming Leslie would have 0:10:00, and then I can use that for
syncing.

--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <odin.omdal at gmail.com>