[whatwg] [html5] r5307 - [giow] (0) use vendor--feature instead of _vendor-feature since Apple engineers [...]

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Nov 30 15:27:23 PST 2010

An update since this topic was discussed on this list before:

I updated the vendor-specific syntax a while back to be x-vendor-foo=""
for content attributes, and .vendorFoo for IDL members; attributes
starting with an underscore are also reserved but their use is not
encouraged.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
> >
> > In fact, iirc we follow the policy that new attribute names will not
> > have hyphens in them, unless it is for some kind of pattern (like
> > data-).
>
> Is this supposed to be a general policy?  We couldn't determine whether
> to go with or without dashes when naming an attribute in the bidi
> meeting a few months ago - current practice seems to go both ways, from
> a trawl of the attribute index.

I don't know that we follow any concrete policy. HTML uses pretty much
every naming convention you can come up with _somewhere_. When adding new
features generally I just try to find an existing feature with a similar
concept and then use the same naming scheme. So e.g. looking at recent
additions, <bdo> suggests <bdi>, dir="" and name="" suggest dirname="".