[whatwg] Cryptographically strong random numbers

Adam Barth w3c at adambarth.com
Mon Feb 14 14:38:41 PST 2011

[Hopefully my subscription change to es-discuss has gone through by now.]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> While we're waiting for Adam to subscribe to es-discuss and repost his
> messages on this thread, this one seems worth pre-posting.
>
> Changes needed for this to become an EcmaScript strawman:
> Replace references to ArrayBufferView with appropriate abstractions from
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:binary_data>.
> Replace WebIDL as a specification language with a JavaScript based API spec.
>
> Get rid of the dependence on "window". Probably avoid introducing a new
> global "crypto" as well, though we can argue about that.

For what it's worth, the "crypto" global already exists and my
understanding is that it's actually required for web compatibility
(although I think supplying the empty object is sufficient to feed the
compat demon).

You'll also want to change the exceptions because those are DOM exceptions.

Adam