[whatwg] HTML5 video: frame accuracy / SMPTE

Rob Coenen coenen.rob at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 08:22:14 PST 2011

Hello list,

are there any plans on adding frame accuracy and/or SMPTE support to HTML5
video?

As far as I know it's currently impossible to play HTML5 video
frame-by-frame, or seek to a SMPTE compliant (frame accurate) time-code.
The nearest seek seems to be precise to roughly 1-second (or nearest
keyframe perhaps, can't tell).

Flash seems to be the only solution that I'm aware of that can access video
on a frame-by-frame basis (even though you the Flash Media Server to make it
work).
Seeking to a SMPTE time-code is completely impossible with any solution I
have looked at.

Very interested to learn what the community POV is, and why it isn't already
implemented.

thanks,

Rob