[whatwg] Timed tracks: feedback compendium

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Jan 3 12:40:51 PST 2011

By the way, the WebSRT hit from Google
(http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/websrt.html) is
404.  I've had to read it out of the Google cache, since I'm not sure
where it went.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
>> But what's the use case? Is it really useful to have comments in a
>> subtitle file?
>
> Being able to put licensing/contact information at the top of the file would
> be useful, just as it is in JavaScript/CSS.

Inline comments (not just line comments) in subtitles are very
important for collaborative editing: for leaving notes about a
translation, noting where editing is needed or why a change was made,
and so on.

If a DOM-like interface is specified for this (presumably this will
happen later), being able to access inline comments like DOM comment
nodes would be very useful for visual editors, to allow displaying
comments and to support features like "seek to next comment".

--
Glenn Maynard