[whatwg] a rel=attachment

Karl Dubost karld at opera.com
Thu Jul 14 12:03:43 PDT 2011

Le 14 juil. 2011 à 14:45, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) a écrit :
> Many websites wish to offer a file for download, even though it could
> potentially be viewed inline (take images, PDFs, or word documents as an
> example).

Which current websites?

> it seems like adding a "rel" attribute to the <a>
> tag would be a straightforward, minimally invasive way to address this use
> case. <a rel=attachment href=blah.pdf> would indicate that the browser
> should treat this link as if the response came with a content-disposition:
> attachment header, and offer to download/save the file for the user.

Are you then proposing to reverse the contextual click on the link to give the option, "view in the browser". All browsers have currently implemented "save this link as"?

It may please some users. As a user, I will place this in the category of super annoying features. It then means I would need a preference in the browser to disable it.

Then it is at least 3 modifications to implement it.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/