[whatwg] Allowing custom attributes on <html> or <body> in documents for media resources

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Nov 15 15:29:04 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> > So I propose that a "toplevel" class be set on the root element of a
> media
> > resource document in a toplevel browsing context.
>
> While I'd normally object that classes are purely an author extension
> point and UAs should stay out, this is a UA-generated page in the
> first place so it's not a big deal.
>
> I might suggest using a pseudoclass instead, though, as that's the
> normal UA extension point.  Is there any particular reason to prefer a
> class over a pseudoclass?

It's a little bit more code to implement a pseudoclass, at least in Gecko.
(It's literally one line to add a custom class or attribute; the situation
is probably similar in other engines.)

If a custom attribute seems better to you, that's just as easy as a class.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us