[whatwg] Comparing mouseover/mouseout, mouseenter/mouseleave and dragenter/dragleave

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jan 10 14:42:59 PST 2012

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Rob Crowther wrote:

> In Firefox 4 dragenter/dragleave are fired like mouseover/mouseout
> events - when you enter or leave the elements irrespective of whether
> the mouse pointer is entering a child element or leaving the element
> altogether.  So I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is Firefox 4 doing the correct thing?

Per the spec, dragenter is fired whenever the immediate user selection
changes, even if it is changed to a descendant of the previous one, and
dragleave is fired whenever the current target element was changed as a
result of dragenter firing.

> 2. If it is doing the correct thing, isn't it a bit confusing that
> dragenter doesn't behave like mouseenter but like mouseover and
> dragleave doesn't behave like mouseleave but mouseout?

The drag-and-drop model is quite confusing in general, independant of
whether it matches one or another of the mouse event mechanisms.

> The phrase "Fire a DND event named dragenter at the immediate user
> selection" seems to indicate Firefox is correct, but it wasn't the
> behaviour I was expecting when I tried it for the first time.

Yeah, this API is quite unintuitive. I've tried to make it less relevant
by adding draggable="" and dropzone="", and you can ignore descendant
elements by relying on bubbling, both of which help a little, but at the
end of the day we're pretty much stuck with what Microsoft invented back
in the late 90s in COM, which is what this is originally based on, if I'm
not mistaken.