[whatwg] API for encoding/decoding ArrayBuffers into text

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Fri Mar 16 16:42:32 PDT 2012

On 3/16/2012 4:25 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 3/16/12 5:25 PM, Brandon Jones wrote:
>> Everyone knows that typed arrays /can/ be Big Endian, but I'm not aware
>> of any devices available right now that support WebGL that are.
>
> I believe that recent Firefox on a SPARC processor would fit that
> description.  Of course the number of web developers that have a
> SPARC-based machine is 0 to a very good approximation....

I've written some hash/encryption methods that could very well could
fail on Firefox on SPARC; many things fail on machines I've never tested
with.

Flip the implementation on SPARC, and it wouldn't harm anything. Cut it
out of the spec, so that the behavior is undocumented, implementations
break.
DataView is a more complex than ArrayBufferView, so implementers started
with the easy option.

The coders using Float32Array are cowboys; (web app gaming and
encryption). We're talking about a few hundred people out of many millions.