[whatwg] Declarative Inert DOM (e.g. the <template> element)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Nov 2 15:40:57 PDT 2012

Late last year and early this year, there were threads on the WHATWG list
about changing the HTML parser to handle templates.

Work on this is ongoing, but has been mainly led by Rafael and Tony:

   http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/templates/index.html

It's currently being discussed in the public-webapps list:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/thread.html#msg312
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/thread.html#msg294

My plan is to not work on this myself in the near term, and to adopt for
the HTML spec whatever parser changes end up getting implemented by
multiple browsers (or that multiple browsers say they plan to implement,
depending on when I next get to this particular topic) based on the work
of Rafael and Tony above.