[whatwg] Firing all the "the end" messages on abort

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Nov 30 15:43:20 PST 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Simon Pieters wrote:

> Indeed. It would be pretty bad user experience if we didn't fire load
> when the user clicks "stop".

That's for the "stop" key, though, right? Not for aborts that occur e.g.
due to navigation, document.open(), or window.stop().

The spec doesn't say what browser UI should do, so if this is just about
the stop key, I don't think this needs a spec change. The browser can do
whatever it wants when you hit the stop key, e.g. just closing all network
sockets, or stopping JS, or stopping animations, or whatever.

As far as I can tell, firing 'load' events when a document gets aborted
due to new navigation, or document.open(), or window.stop(), is not
Web-compatible.