[whatwg] [canvas] Proposal for supportsContext

Ashley Gullen ashley at scirra.com
Mon Sep 10 12:35:30 PDT 2012

Can't Modernizr just lazy load the WebGL context?  (i.e. only try to create
a context if the web page actually asks if WebGL is supported)

On the other hand I would love to see a supportsContext function which can
tell if WebGL is software rendered (i.e. Swiftshader in Chrome).  There's
been a lot of discussion about that and how to define it, but in our
experience 2D games rendered with Swiftshader are far slower than rendered
with a software-rendered 2D canvas.  We have production code in the wild
which detects Swiftshader by its supported WebGL extensions.  I'd love to
replace this even with something vendor specific, like:

canvas.supportsContext("webgl", { "-webkit-allowswiftshader": false })

Despite the hardness to define it, I do feel there is a practical need for
this.

Ashley Gullen
Scirra.com