[whatwg] Reorganizing and fixing "origin"

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 12 13:34:29 PDT 2013

On Wed, 22 May 2013, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> As Bj?rn points out in
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg01512.html
> defining origin of a URL in terms of STD66 is broken. So we should
> define it in terms of the URL Standard.
>
> The Origin header also has problems, as it suggests you can have a
> space-separated list, which we disallowed almost immediately after the
> Origin RFC was published and the IETF group did not accept errata for.
>
> Now "Origin of a URL" can be defined in the URL Standard (not done yet).
> I put an updated definition of the header here:
> http://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#http-origin-header
>
> Where should we put the definition of origin itself? Back in HTML? I
> guess it still is mostly.

What exactly is it you want moved, from where to where? Just the "origin
of a URL"? I'm guessing Adam would be interested in revving the Origin
spec to be more accurate if there's a problem with it; that would be my
preference if at all possible.

See also Adam's response to the message you cite above:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg01520.html